Sunday, October 10, 2021

Welcome to the World, Simon!

 

Michal, Simon, and Hanka

In 2004, I hosted a delightful young man from Slovakia named Michal Cicala. On October 7, he and his wife Hanka welcomed their first child, Simon! 

One of the gifts of hosting students for so many years is watching them find their places in the world and find their people. Michal has done just that with Hanka and Simon.  He's an architect... but most importantly a husband and a father and friend to many. 

During his time in America, Michal had many friends and participated in a host of activities, including  soccer and skiing. He loved to mountain bike, and I have a favorite picture of the two of us on a trek in the mountains of western Maine called the Mahoosucs (below is Michal during that fall mountain bike ride). 

Michal biking with me in the fall of 2004

All through the past 2 decades, Michal and I have kept in touch. He's visited Anne and Rob's home in Southern California. Even more remarkable is his mom and I have stayed in touch, too. A veterinarian, Jane is a dedicated writer and correspondent. It's so fun to have such a long-range friendship.   

Here are a couple of pictures of Michal from Maine with family members. 


Cousins Duncan and Ian with Michal. 


My niece Marion--now a practitioner of eastern medicine--
teaching Michal how to use these battle sticks (I forget the name!)


During his exchange, I took Michal to California with me to visit with Anne and Rob Kent's family I remember we went to a car show (Michal is wild about cars) and, of course, we went to the Southern California beaches.

Southern Californian beach during a visit with Anne and Rob and family.



I remember writing a response to Michal's English portfolio for Mr. McIassac's class (below). I had such fun reading and writing about his excellent work. 


Parent Letter (p 1 and 2) for Michal's English Portfolio



I also remember Michal asking me to write him a recommendation in 2006 (below). I enjoyed thinking back about his exchange year in America. 





And now, 17 years later, Michal is a husband, father, and a professional. What a life! 

Congratulations! 

 

  

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations for your life. I have enjoyed reading this. Very interesting blog post.
    slicker brush

    ReplyDelete