Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Hike #163: The Perfect Birthday Hike

 

Mount Washington in the way back. 

Bailey and I have taken 22 birthday hikes over his lifetime. Yesterday's proved to be a stunner (or stunnah, as we say in Maine). Bailey hiked like a young mountain goat, and I felt strong throughout the 6-mile trek on Whitecap. We met two people on the way down, so we really did own the mountain once we summited. 

Friends chuckle at the number of times I've climbed Whitecap Mountain with Bailey (400 - 600 times?). Usually, I write until lunchtime and then hike for a few hours in the afternoon. It's tough for me to travel too far for a different hike, and like folks who go to the same church year in and year out, I'm happy with this old mountain trail. It's home.  

My phone did OK with the scenery, but I think I have to get an iPhone 12 with that fancy camera. Photography is important to me, so I'm starting to save my pennies...



Not a fast time for us. I enjoyed a leisurely hike and took 100+ pictures along the way.
Oh, I also dropped a bandana on the trail and had to backtrack to retrieve it. 


Blueberry bushes. 


I love cairns... so artistic. 




These paths make me think of the generations of hikers
who've trekked up this mountain. 














What I call the Andover Covered Bridge. 


It's a 20+ picture effort to get one good selfie. Witness below: 

This dog. 








During my selfie struggles this one just appeared! 



Sucking a bit of wind after the 3 central granite ledge climbs.  


No comments:

Post a Comment