Saturday, June 1, 2019

Climbing Middlebury College Snowbowl (Ski Area #4)


Awkward Selfie. I need to learn how to hold the camera
while mosquitoes are drilling into my neck. 

On Thursday, we trekked west to Vermont. The Snowbowl is a short distance from my old graduate school stomping grounds, the Middlebury College Bread Loaf School of English.

Each ski area I've visited so far has a unique feature. The Skiway at Dartmouth had a cliff-side perch up for long views above the chair lift and a classy starter's hut for ski races. Burke showcased views of Willoughby Gap and a wedding venue with stunning views of the Green Mountains. The Snowbowl has Lake Pleiad about 1/4 way up the mountain.

Note: lake at center of map. 
On our approach, I smelled wood smoke. Once we arrived, we met a guy camping with his 14-year-old, graying black lab. Now a NH resident, he grew up in the Middlebury area and comes home each year to camp for a weekend at the lake. There's even a canoe that the Middlebury Outing Club hauled up. The other feature I enjoyed was the humungous Oak and Maple trees that lined certain trails. The terrain reminded me of the trees along roads in the Deep South or the River Walk in San Antonio.

Bailey swimming

The lake from above
















The trail up is well marked by signs (Summer Hiking). I got a bit confused by Long Trail because I thought it looped back to the ski area. But, it didn't. Long Trail meanders across mountain tops to the National Forest and has views of the Bread Loaf campus.

The views of the Green Mountains are a bit less dramatic than those from Burke Mountain, but they have their own charm, to be sure.

As I walked down the ski slopes, I saw a roof top in the woods and went over to investigate. In the middle of a tangled mess of woods stood a well-preserved outhouse. I'm wondering whether it's used in the winter for ski racers or if it might be on an abandoned trail. Whatever, I found a one-holer in the woods!

Outhouse top
A one-holer, in all its glory...
What? 
Views from the top of the slops



1/2 - 3/4 miles into the Long Trail off the summit of the Slopes










Before the hike... 

Long Trail toward National Forest 

Long Trail toward National Forest 
and view of Bread Loaf









No comments:

Post a Comment