Thursday, June 6, 2019

Black Mountain of Maine #7

Of course, Black Mountain is only 8 minutes from my home, and I should have saved this climb for later. However, it's a busy work day with student manuscripts pouring in and a journal article to draft, so a local hike works.

I started skiing here in 1961. I coached here from 1979 to 1999. Over the past 10 years the place has doubled in size thanks to a $9 million grant from the Libra Foundation. New lodge, double the size skiing, a triple chair, a double chair, a new parking lot... this place is a prize for a small town like Rumford. Oh, and guess who named the mountain? Yup, me. I was working at the place back in the 1980s, and we needed a name to separate us from the Black Mountain in New Hampshire. I blurted out, "Black Mountain of Maine," and bam. Naming rights!

Remember, click on the photos to enlarge.

Click on photos to enlarge. 









Working on selfies... open your eyes, Bailey! 










No comments:

Post a Comment