Saturday, November 6, 2021

Hike #177.... Mount Zircon


Mount Zircon from my bedroom window

Each morning in the winter, early spring, and late fall, I arise to a view of Mount Zircon in South Rumford. The six-mile trek includes gentle backwoods roads, steep granite, and everything in between, including an early 20th century reservoir. Today, I discovered a new rock cellar... at least I believe it's my first time seeing the remains of the old home, inn, or spring water building. 

At 46 degrees, the weather couldn't have been better. The rocks in the shaded woods held on to some icy spots, but mainly hiking called for keeping an eye out for slippery leaves, raised roots, or stones hidden beneath the leaves. 

I met five hikers. The last two I asked if they were going to visit the Mount Zircon Reservoir. Like most folks, they didn't know about the defunct reservoir so I gave them directions. On the way down to the little pond. I saw footprints, so I'm thinking they took me up on visiting the reservoir. 


Mt Zircon Spring House

Trail head marker at about 2 miles (go left) 

Mt Blue

Rumford's mill

He hammered this mountain. 

White Mountains. 


Little Concord Pond

"I'm so proud of myself... now, treat?"




Mount Blue in Weld


Rumford

Androscoggin River 








Old dog, old guy


Mount Zircon Reservoir

Mount Zircon in the background 


Mount Zircon 

Wicked classic. 

AllTrails app

AllTrails app 

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous views in all directions!Congratulations on making it to #186. You two are impressive record setters!

    ReplyDelete