Thursday, April 1, 2021

Springtime Smorgasbord

 

The morning after... 

Spring time means great smells and tasty treats. Many dogs, like Mr. Bailey Tuckerman Kent, love to sample turkey poop and discarded sandwiches that have lingered beneath the snow for a season. Many of these delectables cause giardiasis (a.k.a., giardia), an intestinal infection, and get dogs coming and going... if you get my drift. 

After a day of vomiting and gross stool, last night proved to be the clincher. Starting at 12:30am, Bailey maintained a steady in and out routine in the pouring rain with temps at 40 degrees.  I "slept" in a zero gravity chaise lounge in the unheated mudroom wrapped in a Walmart comforter so I could let him out. Several times, he did not come back, so I went out into the rain. At 3am, he went out at a sprint and disappeared. Two of my neighbors' big old dogs had wandered off. Sadie never came back and Jack was found 11 days later up near Joe Pond. The temps during those nights went to zero degrees. He died the next morning.

After circling the house wearing my LLBean head lamp, I walked into the woods. Thirty yards into the trees, I saw his piercing eyes in the distance and he came when I called.  

Hopefully, the medicine I picked up from the Vet's will do the job. I don't care if I have to sleep in the mud room for a month.  

No comments:

Post a Comment