Thursday, January 27, 2022

Devil's Den, South Arm Road, Roxbury/Andover (ME)

Devil's Den from above
If you're on a laptop or computer, 
click on photos to enlarge. 

I'd seen Devil's Den on Maine Hiking's Facebook page. I've driven by the trailhead several times over the years but never knew the little canyon lurked just off the road. Yesterday, at 10 degrees, we hiked in. I would never-ever have walked on the ice if other people weren't there or I hadn't seen a path going up into the belly of the beast. Four big happy people with their very happy dogs were coming back out of the "den" when we managed our way down to the entrance.  

Before meeting these people, I noticed the river divided at the bridge. On the stream opposite Devil's Den, I saw thick ice with a six-foot circle of open water at the center. That's when I said, I'm not going up into the den. But once I'd spoken with the other folks and then entered the den, I realized this side of the river  was a solid sheet of ice.

Bailey seemed a little spooked by the whole affair. Perhaps the ice was cold on his pads. Perhaps the way I handled his leash frightened him. Maybe 10 degrees along with the solid ice got to him. Whatever the case, we made it in and out, and Bailey earned a half dozen treats. I'll come back in the summer to see if folks swim there. In fact, right now I'm going to check summer images online to see if there's a swimming hole there. (I'm so smart.)    


Walkway into Devil's Den






This solid sheet of ice at 10 degrees
may have made Bailey's pads freezing
cold. In the next pix you can see he's not
all that happy. I don't blame him and I made 
sure to treat him well after the tour. 


Not a happy hiker. 




He looks attentive, right? I'm treating Bailey... 


One summer picture. If you click on this hyperlink
or the caption below, you'll be taken to a website 
about Devil's Den that includes pictures. 

Devil's Den




No comments:

Post a Comment