Saturday, November 14, 2020

"If in twenty years I had the opportunity to invite any five former students to sit and chat with me for an evening, I would invite Kari..."


The Mahoosuc Range, Sunday River, and The White Mountains 

We were on Whitecap yet again today for #185 and ran into Karolyn Buotte, a favorite former student, and her regal pup, Phoenix. Over the past decade, Bailey and I have had the great good fortune to cross paths with Lee Whiting who recognized my voice from a distance ("You OK with a dog off leash?" I called. "Coach?" he hollered back. Hadn't seen Lee in 30-40 years!), Pam Saxton and Darcy Morse Lambert who recognized Bailey and called him from 35 yards away, and a collection of other former students who made me smile and feel connected to days gone by. 

Back in the 1990's, Kari, now Karolyn, ruled our English classroom with fire in her eyes. As a senior, she had a deep sense of respect for the kids in all the different groups at school. She was a natural tutor in our student-staffed writing center and a friend who listened deeply to her classmates and writing center clients. She was also quick to question and probe. 

It's not at all surprising that Karolyn--whose dad was my sophomore English teacher and whose mom graced the high school office during my tenure at Mountain Valley HS--is an English teacher at neighboring Dirigo High School. Lucky kids, fortunate colleagues. It's inspiring to see former students decades later who make a difference in our world.  

As always, click on photos to enlarge photos. 


My teacher recommendation for Karolyn Buotte 
from nearly 30 years ago. Holy flying cows. 



Bailey at "Bailey's Cairn." I plan to put some of Bailey's
ashes inside this cairn and maybe I can coax a niece or nephew 
to dump some of me in there as well. 


Bailey on the final steeps of the Starr Trail.







No comments:

Post a Comment