Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Mill Town


 

I've known Kerri since the early 1980s. When she graduated from Beloit College (WI) she moved back to coach skiing, substitute teach, and cobble together jobs not unlike what I'd done when I first moved home to write. Later, in the early 2000's, she started studying her family and our community, the mill and cancer. In 2008, she jumped into an MFA program at the New School. Fast forward 12 years and she's written "the book of a lifetime" in Mill Town: Reckoning with What Remains. I couldn't be happier for her. 

When writing friends publish books--Kate Kennedy's Skin, A Memoir; Darren Worcester's Open Season: True Stories of the Maine Warden Service; Monica Wood's The One-in-a-Million Boy--I feel such vicarious joy for them and for all writers. Writing's hard; publishing that writing challenges most of us. 

Here's to Kerri and her book-- she's earned this experience through decades of work.  





No comments:

Post a Comment