Friday, September 4, 2020

The Fireplace Trail on Center Hill

Fireplace off the summit of Center Hill

I'm guessing that I've hiked the Center Hill trail 100 times over the course of my lifetime. But yesterday my cousin Ian told me about a new trail off the summit that slithers past an ancient fireplace set about 100 meters off the summit. That granite tourist perch has 180-degree views of the Tumbledown mountain range, Byron Notch, and the lake.  This new trail (marked in orange tags) seems made for snowshoers, and after a mile of hiking merges with the ATV trail down near the Ranger's home. What I find remarkable is that this old fireplace may be a football field from the summit. It's been there a long time, and reminds me of the fireplace my cousins had next to their camp in the 1950s. I picture folks from Weld coming up to the summit for picnics and early evening dinners cooking their burgers on this open hearth. It's kind of fun to think of these gatherings in a place that I thought I knew so well.  









Fireplace Trail marked with orange tags

The Hobbit Trail is just above the ATV trails and is marked in yellow. I did 
not follow those yellow flags. 


After the Hike: Bailey slow motion drinking


1 comment: