Monday, August 10, 2020

Hiking with a friend

 

Tom on top of Parker Ridge overlooking Tumbledown and Crater Lake 

Click Photos to Enlarge


In the early 1990s, I applied to a doctoral program at UNH that I wasn't qualified for at the time (I hadn't completed a masters). But, for some reason, I was offered an interview. During the interview I met Tom Newkirk––professor, writer, good guy, hiker... and swimmer, who once, with his relay team, posted a time that put them 8th in world for masters swimmers. How good is that? 

Several weeks after my interview at UNH, I received a postcard from Tom explaining his side job as an acquisitions editor with Heinemann publishing. He asked if I'd be interested in sending along some of the writing about my high school classroom. I mailed him a few chapters, he liked what he read, and the rest is history: he served as editor of two of my books (Room 109 and Beyond Room 109) and then invited me to co-edit/author a book with him titled Teaching the Neglected 'R'.  I've been a lucky guy.  

Today, we hiked Parker Ridge trail in the Tumbledown range (3012ft). Temps were in the 80s and humidity ran high not unlike the rest of this gawd awful hot summer. On a misty day back in the 1990s, Tom and I hiked Tumbledown's Brook trail, but today we got a solid view.  As always, click on the photos to enlarge. 

View of the Tumbledown range from Burt's Point:

Old Tired Guy at the top of the Parker Ridge Trail overlooking Crater Lake:

Western Mountains of Maine looking out at the Mahoosuc Range: 

Tom with a view of Tumbledown: 

The UNH Mountain Goat: 

Slugging our way up Parker Ridge on a steamy summer day: 
Chowing down on a Kent Classic: PBJ Wrap.  

Trekking through the lower sections of Parker Ridge:


Lake Webb from Parker Ridge trail:






Our Yesterdays














No comments:

Post a Comment