Sunday, August 15, 2021

Stupid is as stupid does.

 

I should have known he'd go swimming. Damn. 

I've been waiting for the "best" time to post on Facebook about leaving UMaine. I didn't want to frighten my doctoral students or those in my online writing program. I also didn't want to depress my colleagues who have to take up the slack! In the end, as I wrote to a new colleague today, I really just wanted to control the narrative. I am a former high school teacher, and when we lose hold of the narrative in our classrooms... well, it's just not pretty. Been there, done that.  

Yesterday, I did the deal on Facebook. Lots of former students, colleagues, friends and family commented. I got teary-eyed at times and loved reading the notes and seeing the emojis. The afternoon of reading felt a lot like a retirement party but without the messiness of people. 

After multiple rain storms and an take-out lasagna dinner, a front pulled through and the air grew autumn cool and clear. After a week of heat and humidity, I couldn't stand being inside with such weather! So, I changed, packed up my gear, and headed to Whitecap for a twilight hike. 

Two things to remember: 1) Never go hiking without telling people where you are. 2) Never go hiking at night if you haven't checked your headlamp's battery strength.  

Strike #1. Strike #2. Fortunately, nothing happened except the sun went down earlier than expected. Stupid is as stupid does. 


No one on the trails. 

Damn x 2. 

Love these woods. 

Yes, I'm coming. 


Sunset. Oops. 


We turned back here. 


The lamp lasted for the final 30 minutes

  

No comments:

Post a Comment