Sunday, August 8, 2021

Road Tripping: What I learned and where I went

 


Our travels 

I learned a lot on this trip. First, I overpacked. I don't need a lounge chair for sitting outside. I certainly didn't need a suitcase plus multiple plastic boxes for dozens of Clif Bars (granola bars) and dog treats and clothing and more. I have to think of clothing this way: It can be washed. (Duh.) 

I loved finding Willard Ski Area on the map and driving there... Surprise! A fun little area with good people trying to make it work for the greater Washington County community. I like doing these adventures. 

I discovered Hipcamp as a quick, safe place for overnight parking. Most Hipcamp sites seemed to be owned by regular folks. Twenty bucks is small price to pay for the ease involved. I don't generate toward cities for their free overnights at Walmarts, Lowes, Cabellas, or the like. Harvest Hosts calls for reservations in advance; furthermore, HH is free but you're asked to buy local products. If it's a winery, that's fine. However, I don't want to be buying meat from a farm while parked in a field surrounded by cows whose sister you may be eating. That ain't happening. Moo. 

Bailey seems fine when we're driving. He sleeps on the puzzle bed (where the kitchen table would be), on the floor, or in the passenger side captain's chair. I'm not sure if he's nervous in the van, but when we get out to stretch our legs, he's quite involved with the variety of smells freeway rest stops or town greens offer. 

Sitting. I must be aware of the amount of sitting I do during drives. I"ve got to get Bailey outside and walking, and for my own legs, I've got to stretch and walk. Right now, even though I usually hike during my adventures, RVing like this feels unhealthy because of the sitting and quick meals (e.g., 2 hot dogs in Newport VT). 
 
I had planned to work on my book and, as a favor, to edit another book by a friend. (I have two other books to read and review, too.) I didn't do any of this work. That's a problem. I need to settle in to the adventure––I can't rush. I have to take a breath. 

The final thing is to feel comfortable leaving my home. Fortunately, I have neighbors across the street who will pop in to check on the place. Thanks, Gina and Gregory. Then,  bills mailed to the house that need paying. This, I need to figure out, especially if I leave for 3-5 weeks. We'll see what happens.   


The route we took ending up with 750 miles with 
a gas mileage of 16.8mpg. 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment