Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Hikes 91, 92, 93: Step Falls, Joe Pond Trails, Whitecap

From Whitecap Mountain
Click on photo to enlarge

I have driven by Step Falls, just before Screw Auger falls, many times over the years. Often, the parking lot is jam packed. This weekday, 3 other cars dotted the parking lot, so in I went. The water is so low there are few falls, but I could imagine the river in spring time or after heavy rains. We also stopped off at Screw Auger Falls, Moose Cave, and Mother Walker Falls––tourist spots, but fun, nonetheless.     

Joe Pond Trail off Isthmus Road near the ski area is a series of back-country roads that summit at a friend's cabin. The views of Whitecap, White Mountains, and Sunday River are fun. I used to run, hike, or bike from my house to Joe Pond and these roads. It might take 40 minutes to run to the pong from Prospect Avenue. 

















1 comment: