Saturday, May 1, 2021

Zooming right out the back door

 

The Final School Zoom Meeting


On Friday, I spent 5 hours on Zoom in two meetings and a lunch-time lecture. I listened 99.00% of the time. When I did speak about the writing center philosophy of emphasizing the writer over the writing product, I felt grounded and in my element. I thought of my writing teachers--James Britton, Nancy Martin, Carol Ellis, Dixie Goswami, Anne Wood, the Wild Count, Michael Armstrong... and my student-colleagues through the years. Otherwise... my Friday was the stuff of a 3:30am wake-up call. 

For nearly 20 years I've listened to well-meaning university colleagues talk.  I've lived through 3-hour meetings that could have either been a 15-minute chat or a one-page email. There's something about an academic that kicks their mouths into overdrive when in a gathering of other academics.  I remember the few times this happened to me at UMaine. I started talking and could not stop. Is this what it is to be an academic? Those times that I've jibber-jabbered on and on, I left the lunch or meeting thinking to myself, "What the fuck just happened to me?" 

Maybe talking a lot is the way many university people learn. Or maybe there's something else behind their words. Frustration? Impotence? A need to be recognized? Or perhaps this is the way they negotiate the world. I can't imagine what it's like to be an administrative assistant or another staff member at a university. Think of all the listening they have to do. Honestly.  


No comments:

Post a Comment