Thursday, October 29, 2020

Bald and Speckled Mountains.

 

As always, click on photos to enlarge. 

We hiked Bald and Speckled Mountains today. A little over 5 miles in around 3 hours. Fallen leaves created some slick spots and hid roots and loose rocks under foot. Let me tell you, though, Bailey hammered these two peaks. A couple of steeps had me thinking about turning back because I worried not so much about the ups but the slick downs. Didn’t matter. The old mutt dropped it into a mountain-dog climbing gear and took care of it. Good boy, Bailey. HYOH.

The following post is what I wrote on Bernese Mountain Dogs International website. Berners die between the ages of 6.5 and 7.0 years on average in America. Bailey's still at it, so this is a kind of cheerleading note to fellow Berner owners:    

Yesterday, Bailey Tuckerman and I climbed mountains #173 and #174 on our way to 200 for the year (fingers crossed). Bailey’s 10.5 years old and still hammering the trails as he has all his life. On the way down Speckled Mt. here in Maine, he leaped off a 5-foot ledge; I pictured him doing damage to a leg. Nope. He just turned around and looked at me, his eyes saying, “Let’s go! It’s almost dinner time.” I know I’m a fortunate guy to have this mountain-climbing Berner for so many years. We’ll climb the last 26 mountains for all those BMDs who couldn’t.






Little Concord Pond at the base of Bald. 

Looking up from Bald Mountain to Speckled. 


Cone-shaped Mount Blue in the distance.



"What's next?" 

Concord Pond. 

Concord Pond with the White Mountains in the background. 

The machine. 

Summit tag. 


Feed me. 

Happy to be home. 
(Yes, I took my own photo in a mirror. Shameless.)


No comments:

Post a Comment