Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Scooting up Whitecap


Post-hike happiness... 
he knows a peanut butter treat is in his future. 


After work, we zipped up to Whitecap Mountain for a near 4-mile hike. The snow has disappeared for the most part and there's minimal ice left.

Within the first 5 minutes of the hike, we met a family of 4. As I glanced up the hill, I could tell they were pulling a wheelchair backwards up the hill. A little girl of about 5 or 6 called Bailey a sweetie or a similar term and the elderly woman in the wheelchair reached out to pet him. The two women yanking on the wheelchair, daughters I assumed, had purple hair.

"We're having a picnic," said one woman.

"Perfect!" I said.

And off we went so they could set up their meal.

Post Script: It just struck me that I believe the older woman may have had purple hair, too. Reminds me of a poem I used to read to my students back in high school, "When I am an Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple." I hope they had a memorable picnic on the slopes of Whitecap Mountain.

Bailey peeing on the Black/White Trail sign. 

From the Black/White Trail... Sunday River with
The Presidential Range in the background.


Trail Map (AllTrails) to the Black/White Trail.


No comments:

Post a Comment