Saturday, July 17, 2021

Sand Castles and Hot Weather

"I eat sand and climb mountains."


We've fallen behind on our hikes due to hot weather and ... 

While visiting camp over the 4th of July holiday, Bailey decided to snack on sand. I have no idea why he'd eat sand other that to think he's got early onset. Later that night at 1am, panting heavily, he runs into my room with wide, urgent eyes. After 11 years, I knew the deal: "I have to throw up or ..." 

He threw up through the late night hours as I took him for walks up and down the streets. I didn't know his illness had to do with sand. Naturally, a crazy dog parent, I figured one of two things: he ate something rotten or he's got every kind of cancer known in the dog kingdom and he's not long for the world. 

Eighteen hours later, he pooped a series of sand castles on our neighbors' lawns. Then, back to normal. Crazy dog. 

We're back to hiking and up to Hike #109. We're off pace for 210 hikes this year, but at this point, who cares. We're doing what my license plate says: HYOH (hike your own hike). We did the full trail on Whitecap on a pleasant summer's day with light winds and then Red Hill the next. 


Mount Washington in the distance
Click on photos to enlarge.





Slopes of Sunday River on the right

Old Speck on the Appalachian Trail

Rumford


Old Speck 



Bailey: "I'm sorry about the sand castle adventure."
                                             Rich: "You're dead to me." 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment