Thursday, August 29, 2019

Hiking Mt Abram ..... Ski Area #16, Mountain #71.... I'm turning into a mountain goat! Bailey, too!

View of the western mountains of Maine
Remember... click on photos to enlarge. 
Barbara Burt Kent c. 1940s

On a pristine late-August day, we trucked over to Mt Abram in Greenwood to hike the ski area's trails. My best memory of this mountain is when my mother took Robert and me out of school to go skiing with her. Holy flying cows... skipping school? That never happened.

At the time, my mother battled a blood disease that eventually morphed into Leukemia and took her life. I'm guessing--perhaps hoping--that this ski escape was her way of creating special memories of her for my brother and me. But then again, maybe she just wanted to go skiing with her youngest boys on a sunny winter's day.

As I hiked the wide-open trails on Mt Abram, I thought of my mother and her adventurous spirit... she learned to ski in her late 40s after having 5 kids. Way to go, Ma.



Look close... Bailey's swimming in this pond








Old guy, Mountain #71

"We need a vacation."






No comments:

Post a Comment