Tuesday, July 24, 2012

"Truth vs. Story Truth and Blog Truth: If I don't tell you the whole story, am I lying?” with Emilie Brand Manhart

Blogger, mom, magazine editor, marathoner, triathlete, and English teacher Emilie Brand Manhart visited us today in Shibles 204 to share her thoughts on truths in writing. 


Click on photo to enlarge. 


Here's some of what we thought in response to Emilie's talk:

A blogger person isn’t a fake, but it’s not the whole story either.

You inspire with me...


Loved hearing about your process and how blogging disciplined your writing.

Your honesty was touching.

I will endeavor to find my voice as you have.

Truth

An important topic well illustrated….

I was very impressed with your candor…

“That book was made by Mr. Mark Twain, and he told the truth, mainly. There was things which he stretched, but mainly he told the truth. That is nothing. I never seen anybody but lied one time or another, without it was Aunt Polly, or the widow, or maybe Mary. Aunt Polly -- Tom's Aunt Polly, she is -- and Mary, and the Widow Douglas is all told about in that book, which is mostly a true book, with some stretchers, as I said before.”

You made blogging real…

You got me thinking about exposure in writing…

Thank you for putting yourself out there.

As you were speaking to us, I couldn’t help but think, “I wish she had been my English teacher.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment