Saturday, August 16, 2014

Growing the family, yet again… 38/60

Jose, Bar Harbor, 1985
This coming Monday, Jose, Noemi, Sofia, and Felipe Ytuarte will arrive in Weld for a weeklong holiday. I hosted Jose as an exchange student when Allen Jr. lived with me in the 1980s. Now, 30 years later, this lifelong friendship is as easy and fulfilling as family.

Over the years I have welcomed many international students into my home. These kids have helped expand a part of my life in ways that teaching and coaching have. But welcoming teenagers into your home on a 24/7 basis goes well beyond a teachers' life. Ha! Talk about understatement.


Sofia, Felipe, Jose, and Noemi c. 2011
















After a couple of years away from hosting, I've jumped back in… and happily so. Meet Rasmus and Felix from Denmark and Germany. Involved, smart, and athletic kids, these boys are taking a year away from family and friends to explore the American way of life, to better their English, and to have a good time.  Bailey and I--and the Rumford community--will do our best to make this a terrific year in the USA for both young men.

Felix, Bailey Tuckerman, and Rasmus, August 15, 2014

2 comments:

  1. Rich, this is just great. Lucky kids, lucky you with some patience and humor and energy thrown in. How wonderful that your former student and his family are visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kate… just coming up for air after 2 intense and fun weeks. I'll drop you an email note.

    ReplyDelete