Sunday, April 7, 2013

Vegetable Soup

Rich's Vegetable Soup!
I'm a late bloomer. Take dogs, for example. I decided to adopt Bailey nearly three years ago. Since then, as if I'm the first dog owner on the planet, I have written, talked, and photoed him endlessly. All my dog friends have been so kind. They've smiled and "Oh really'ed?" for the past 3 years. Then there's cooking.

I can make simple fare like lasagna, spaghetti, and chicken dishes, but when it comes to real cooking, well...

I've been trying to move away from eating meat. Recently, I visited my friend Anne and her husband, Joe, and sister Betty. They served a delicious meal starting with a selection of hors d'oeurves followed by a delectable vegetable soup. I admitted to Anne that I'd like to learn how to make  soup and she followed up by emailing me the recipe.

The next Sunday, I headed off to the supermarket to buy the ingredients. The shop had rutabaga, but not turnip. Duh! Who knew they were the same! It gets worse: I'd never opened a garlic clove or used barely in any form. But, step by step I just pushed through. Honestly, I love this soup! It's hearty and filling... I had so much that I froze two big containers after three meals.

Now my soup and cooking friends have to listen to me, "the cook," talk the game I just learned. I have such good friends...

Here's the recipe Anne provided:

Click to enlarge


No comments:

Post a Comment